Monday, June 21, 2010

Yay Resolution #5


Since today is my seventh wedding anniversary (!), let's yammer about the "Show love" resolution.

This morning I made Amy a list of 100 things I'm grateful for about her. It included things like "You hate people who are mean to me." and " You always get up to turn out the light." and "You text me about herons." Awwww. It wasn't hard to think of 100 things at all. I just hope she's still the only person who can read my scraggly handwriting. (#101!)

This is the person I QUIT SMOKING with, and we still made it 7 years!

I made the "Show love " resolution because love is so mixed up with creativity for me that I feel artistically frustrated if I am not lavishing everyone with as much affection as possible/appropriate.

When we were first married, it felt kind of isolating because I felt like I couldn't love my friends the way that I had during my (long!) single life. I'm still working out how to love as much as I want to without everything falling apart. It helps that Amy is so loyal and creative and accepts me for the actual way that I am.

Here's a Hafiz poem that captures it:

With That Moon Language

Admit something:

Everyone you see, you say to them, "Love me."

Of course you do not do this out loud, otherwise
someone would call the cops.

Still though, think about this, this great pull in us to connect.

Why not become the one who lives with a
full moon in each eye that is
always saying,

with that sweet moon language,
What every other eye in
this world is
dying to
hear?

-Hafiz

So yeah. Working on the full-moon eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Congrats on 7 blissful (I hope) years. May the rest of your life together be as lucky as this anniversary year is! XO - Sarah

    ReplyDelete