Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Love Poem: J Mase III!


A Desperate Stonewall Love Poem for Nikki G

40 years after the fact
I am standing in this store rifling through the 
crisp pages
Of a famous old dyke’s poetry book
Created just months ago by
Beautiful butch hands that have become 
bitter 
From penning notes to her male lover
Fictitiously invented for her conservative fan base
And her elderly mother’s 
weak heart]
And it strikes me amongst all these words
Devoid of her own emotional presence 
That I expected her to write me a poem
I want her to write me a poem
I want her to write me the sweetest love poem
About my kinky hair
About my brown skin
About my smooth hips

About what our two bodies must look like moving through the dark
I want her to write me a love poem about freedom
I want her to write me a love poem that will convince a father 
His 13 year old gay son is still a child~ 
and not a leather bound punching bag]
I want her to write me a 
love poem that will house 1000 trans girls 
that have not had a home to go to 
I want her to write me a love poem
 that will petition the president of Uganda 
And tell him that 
love is not a reason to be put to death
when there are so many other wars going on outside
I want her to write me a love poem that lets two boxer wearing tranny fags 
hold hands down a dark alley and not feel fear

I want her to write me a love poem
That would have saved the lives of Tyra Hunter, Nizah Morris, Erika Keels and Sakia Gunn 
I want her to write me a love poem that lets a lesbian English teacher 
simultaneously keep her job 
and a picture of her first lover on her heart
I want her to write me a love poem
That would have tucked me in at 16 and told me
It was okay to want love
to try love
to feel *loved*

And that the 
true sin of Sodom and Gomorrah 
was about GREED
I want her to write me a 
love poem
Because to her other fans
it could be just that
But to 
us 
it could have been so much more

J Mase III is the author of If I Should Die Under the Knife, Tell My Kidney I Was the Fiercest Poet Around and creator of two annual performance events called Cupid Ain’t @#$%! andTransfags Taking Over. A Philly based poet, activist and loud mouthed queer, J Mase III is the stuff that dreams are made of! To find out what J Mase is doing these days, check out his facebook page at: www.facebook.com/masonthewordartist

No comments:

Post a Comment