Sunday, October 21, 2018

Screaming at the Supreme Court, A Love Story (Part Two)




We weren’t just headed to the Capitol for us. As always, I was aware that being able to express my political anger is a privilege and a gift. My check-in person, the friend and neighbor who has my mom’s phone number and the keys to come in and feed the cats if she doesn’t hear from me after protests, had said “Thanks for marching. I’ll be at work, seething.” I’d reached out to my mom directly for support this time, even though I knew this would worry her, and she said: “I’m confident you’ll be fine…you’re sensible and strong. Don’t be afraid.” My sister, the kindest and most conflict-averse person I know, posted on my facebook that morning: “Be safe, and loud!! Love to you and Amy—thanks for fighting the evil!” It was an honor to look forward to yelling on behalf of the women who don’t have the luxury of unabashed anger.

We weren’t sure the protest would go inside the Capitol, but I hoped that it would. I’d seen so many amazing C-Span videos (Just let the phrase “amazing C-span videos” sink in and think about how much has changed in the past two years!) of protesters occupying the Capitol for healthcare, for DACA, against the Muslim bans. I felt proud and brave to be part of that tradition, and my bitter heart was buoyed a little.

When we arrived, the protest was in three different places—one crowd in front of the Capitol, one crowd on the lawn between the Capitol and the Supreme Court getting civil action training with the Women’s March, and one group chanting in front of the Supreme Court itself. I almost immediately lost my cool when I saw a pregnant Info Wars “reporter” interviewing a protester. I almost jumped into the shot and screamed, but for Info Wars, where would I even start? I power-posed with my sign in front of the Capitol and that was the last time I felt festive, felt normal, for a long time.

There was a MAGA-hatted couple in the crowd, sanguine and smug, bothering the protestors and being bothered back. Seriously, who thinks “You know what we should do with our Saturday? Go show a bunch of rape survivors who’s boss!” WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? (Also, I know they could have been paid trolls. Somehow that would be comforting.) Having been on the protest grounds for all of five minutes, I forgot my whole put-the-kids-first-don’t-get-arrested plan. I turned around and started following the couple, sign held high, a beyond-grim expression on my face. This is where I started to scare myself.

I screamed at them. Not in a crowd, not in a chant that would soon be followed by an impromptu singing of “This Little Light of Mine.” I screamed at people, at strangers, at a (it goes without saying they were white and presented as hetero) man and a woman. I wish I could promise that I was at all articulate. The man started filming me with his phone and I screamed “That’s right, get it on tape. Share it with all of your racist, misogynist, rape apologist friends, they need to hear it.” (At least I hope I was that coherent. My memory slips a little here and there in this story.)

The woman, who looked about my age, said “I am not a racist. You don’t know my heart.” She said calmly.

“I can see your heart, it’s there on your fucking HEAD. Grow some fucking empathy.”

“Grow some fucking empathy” is what I pretty much always want to be screaming. But on some level, she’s right. I don’t know her heart. I shouldn’t assume it’s sadism or Stockholm Syndrome that’s inspiring her to act so DEEPLY against her own interest, against the interest of human beings in general, against LIFE ITSELF. The politically self-immolating white woman captured my imagination that day. I have been railing (RIGHTLY) for two years against over-empathizing with the white people who voted their hatred in 2016. But that day at the Capitol I grew a new empathy of my own, one that I didn’t entirely welcome. By the end of the day and in the discussions that followed, I would realize that #metoo isn’t a partisan effort at all, and that every woman, even the horrible ones, would have my loyalty from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment