Sunday, September 6, 2020

"Go change your skin color, then." Open Letter to Flourtown Country Club

 




Dear Flourtown Country Club Management,

I am a pool member and a (white) Black Lives Matter activist. I want to report an upsetting interaction with the woman who seems to manage the pool. She is a white woman of medium build, fit, with short sandy-blond hair. Today when I was entering the pool area I was upset to see this person standing proudly in front of a “blue lives matter” flag. I hoped there was a misunderstanding, I know that not everyone knows this flag is often used as fascist/white supremacist iconography.

 

Her response to my alarm made it clear that she did, in fact, hang the flag for violent, racist reasons. When I told her that the flag might make Black members and guests feel unsafe, she told me to “Get lost.” When I told her that police had aimed their cars at my friends during the Uprising, she said “Well, were they in the road?” This implies that protesters deserve to be killed or injured simply for crossing the street. When I asserted that everyone who stands for white supremacy is a bad person, she then said “Go change your skin color, then!” But I don’t need to be Black to be against murderous police, to be against the white supremacy this woman clearly espouses.

 

I am horrified by both the display of white supremacist iconography and the rude, aggressive way I was treated. I think that this woman needs to be fired and that the pool staff needs a serious structural overhaul to subvert the current near-segregation of the membership and staff. Black members and anti-racist members should be welcomed, not implicitly threatened.

 

As you know, both country clubs and pools have a violent white supremacist history in America. It’s within your power to change that, to work towards inclusion and healing. Firing this racist staff member would be a great start.

 

Best,

Sharon Wiedmann

Pool Member

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment