Friday, November 5, 2010
The Vegan Barley Soup of Happiness
Yesterday started out a really crappy day- the rain soaked my socks and my math test erased my brain like a magnet to a cassette. It all started to turn around once I started working on this variation on my mom’s veggie barley soup. It’s not as good as hers, of course, but still very yummy.
Here’s an EXTREMELY imprecise recipe; taste as you go along.
A whole bunch of dried lima and kidney beans
some carrots and celery
1 can sliced mushrooms
palm-sized piece of onion
little bit of fresh garlic
bag o’ barley
Old Bay seasoning
nice olive oil
1. Cook the beans over night in a crock pot with cumin, garlic powder, salt, and a bay leaf. Start your soup when they’re almost done.
2. In the bottom of your soup pot, heat up some nice olive oil. Dice in the onion and garlic. Add a whole bunch of sea salt. Let that cook for a while. Your house will start to smell really, really nice.
3. Add mushrooms and potatoes. (I like the skins on the potatoes but you can peel them if you want to.)
4. Shake in some rosemary and cumin. Stir it all around in the oil for a few minutes and then add a little bit of water. Keep stirring it around.
5. Chop up your carrots and celery and add them to your mixture.
6. Add the beans and a few ladles of the juice from the beans.
7. Add a little bit of tomato sauce and water to fill the pot.
8. Add as much barley as you want to, but remember that it grows. Barley takes about 45 mins to cook.
9. Add a whole bunch of Old Bay seasoning.
10. Sprinkle with toasty pumpkin seeds and eat.
The awesome thing about barley is that unlike pasta, its texture gets nicer and nicer as it’s reheated. You’ll have soup for days.