Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Good News! Onward to Teacher Certification!


When my acceptance from Drexel’s teacher certification program came through a few weeks ago, I didn’t know what to do with it. I left it in my inbox for a while, hoping for an epiphany about what to do. And it did come, while I was sitting out on the patio with my sister-in-law in Allen, Texas. Thanks, Joanne, for whatever was in that talk that helped me to figure it out.

My trepidations about teaching have been well-catalogued, but I think I’d be disappointed in myself if I didn’t try it. I absolutely love the easygoing job that I have right now, especially Friday Apples to Apples, but I need something bigger. The best moments at the library are the ones where I’m doing some genuine teaching, when I’m challenging the kids and myself.

My supersweet boss has told me a million times that no other after school leader has gotten the kids to write as much as I have, if at all. I still think anyone could do it, but I’m starting to admit to myself a little that getting kids to love writing is kind of a special skill.

I’m not sure what life’ll look like once I’m certified. Given the state of the Philadelphia school system, I may have to give up the part about working in a public school and fighting the achievement gap. But I hope not, because I still think that’s part of what I was born to do.

So, as long as everything works out with financial aid, I’ll be starting certification classes this summer. A million thank yous to the friends, family and advisors who supported me in the process so far, especially to those who wrote recommendations.

Dear universe, please make me into someone who can do this.

Dear poet pals, please make sure I keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment