Monday, August 29, 2011

Motivation Mondays: After the Storm (for a friend who's moving away)

Today’s post is dedicated to a friend who’s really sad and scared to be moving out of town. I guess a hurricane metaphor might not be the most comforting, but I work with what I’ve got.

I’m not usually scared of storms, and at first, I wasn’t scared of this one. Mostly I was just glad that I’d have a chance to spend some extra time catching up with Amy and catching up on my library books. But that night, she put on the news and I shouldn’t have watched. What could be more end-of-the worldy than a hurricane heading for Manhattan. And oh, the tornado maps—when they started to show the names of towns my friends live in, I really got scared. There was so much chaos an absolutely nothing I could do about it. So, after Amy put masking tape Xes over all the windows, I went to sleep, praying in the primeval way that you do, when it’s the only thing you can do. To my surprise, I slept, and when I woke up, it was clear that the storm had passed.

So, my dear worried friend, I want to take this opportunity to celebrate those connections that made me scared in the hurricane, all of the people we love all over the place. And I wish for you more than anything that feeling, when the sun comes up and there’s still a light drizzle, but you know you’re safe and home.

Don’t forget, too, that you’ll have yourself with you, and all of the resources that entails. You’ll know exactly what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment